Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The official documents concerning this issue are on the JCOMM Voluntary Observing Ship Scheme webpages (see WMO-No 47 documents)
- See also WIGOS Metadata Standard that should supersede WMO Pub47.
- E-SURFMAR Metadata Database
- VOS classes
- Definitions extracted from WMO Pub No 47
- Selected: A mobile ship station which is equipped with sufficient certified meteorological instruments for making observations, transmitsregular weather reports and enters the observations in a meteorological logbook. A Selected ship should have at least a barometer,a thermometer to measure SST, a psychrometer (for AT and humidity), a barograph and possibly an anemometer.
- Supplementary: A supplementary ship is a mobile ship station equipped with a limited number of certified meteorological instruments for makingobservations. It transmits regular weather reports and enters the observations in a meteorological logbook.
- Auxiliary: Auxuliary ships are mobile ship stations, normally without certified meteorological instruments, which transmits in a reduced codeform or in plain language, either on a routine basis or on request, in certain areas and under certain conditions.